Friday 30 December 2016

Mantic Games "The Walking Dead" Miniatures Game; First Impressions

My wife bought me the new Walking Dead Miniatures game for Christmas as well as the scenery pack. Both look awesome, and I may end up picking up the other packs as well.

Here are some stock photos of the packs. I will be including some comparison photos of my own later on.




The miniatures are as nice as any I have seen. They are made of high quality plastic. The game components are decent, though the cards are a bit bendy. Rules wise they seem good for small skirmish sized games. These rules are longer than the Warlord Games rules, but both look short and simple. I bought 2 of the Warlord Games box set to get more of the miniatures. That won't be the case here, as the miniatures are one piece castings. Still, I love the miniatures so much, that I think I'm going to get all of the expansions. The Warlord Games miniatures are also fantastic, but of course are multi-part. My only fault I can find with either set of miniatures is that the Warlord Games female survivors are mostly wearing skirts and heels. They are all good, but I want old zombies (heels would have fallen off), and more females with pants. Mantic Games zombies are all unique, though I would happily have 2 or 3 of each if I could!




Here are stock photos of the scenery packs I picked up. They were around $50.00 Canadian. A bit pricy, but the cars are nice. The cars are around 1:49 or 1:50. Which matches a lot of the cars I have, they are the same size as my "O Scale" plastic train screnery cars, but would certainly be too big to put beside a 1:55 Jada or Siku. I have a lot of cars already, but I thought these would be good to make into burned out cars. I will make 3 burned out, and paint up one truck normally.

So far Mantic Games Has the Following Releases;
1. All Out War; Main Rules, spinner, dice, weapon cards, character cards, event cards, 6 survivors (including Rick and Carl) and 12 zombies. ($60 Canadian)
2. The Prelude to Woodbury; Solitary Rules. Governor miniature, 5 zombies, weapon cards, character cards, event cards, dice. ($40 to $50 Canadian)
3. Days Gone By; 4 Survivors (including Dale), 2 zombies, weapon cards, character cards, event cards. *this one looks like an add on to All Out War ($40 to $50 Canadian)
4. Scenery Pack; 2 trucks, 2 cars, 6 barriers, 10 loot piles (all can be used to replace the ones in the main game) ($50 Canadian)
5 Character Packs; These are a main character, with 2 other miniatures (could be characters of zombies). These are $25 each. A little pricy but very nice.
-Shane, Reggie and a zombie
-Lori and two zombies
-Carol, Sophia and a zombie
-Andrea, Amy and a zombie 
-Morgan, Duane and a zombie (Morgan's wife)
-Rick on Horse and a zombie

So altogether that's 21 survivors and around 26 zombies. To get all these sets, you are looking at about $360 plus tax.


No comments:

Post a Comment